Sunday, June 9, 2013

Benevolence in a Stateless Society

For more years than I can count, I've had a policy of placing a $20 bill into the hands of every homeless person I meet.  Yesterday, I found three of them on the grass outside a Burger King here in Bakersfield, California.  (I'm driving trucks to pay down college debt.)  They were all thankful and related that they only use money for "food and cigarettes."

Most people would be revolted at money donated being spent on cigarettes, but I don't judge such things (judge not), meaning that I do not make a legal determination about a person's choice on how they spend my benevolence.  I want them to be at peace with what I give them, not conflicted that I might not approve.  This is a fundamental problem with statism.

So-called "do gooders of the state" are constantly coming with a badge and a gun to take my $20 from me by violence in order to force a homeless person into a herded mentality so that they can give my $20 out in the name of state violence, noting that the bureaucracy of state takes a substantial portion of that $20 to pay themselves for all the violence they do.

If we are to step away from the state conception of life, our benevolence must be as big as the state and as non-violent as my handing out $20 bills yesterday without judgement.

Gene Chapman,
Tolstoyan-Gandhian Libertarian for Texas Governor
(Endorsed by Dr. Noam Chomsky)
ChapmanForTexasGovernor2014.com
gkchapman2012@hotmail.copm