Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Contemplating the Vow of Unattachment

For several years, I have been contemplating the vow of unattachment, a Jainist concept central to Gandhji's walk on earth.  It is also the central act of the Buddha, as I understand it.

I have a few debts from college that I need to pay first, but I would like to examine this vow in San Diego, California for six months or so, due to the temperate climate.

I wonder if a temperate climate is the appropriate place, as the Buddaha did his walk in the desert, I understand.  And if I keep a driver's license and social security card  back in Texas have I really explored the vow?  And if I am not to take oaths, what is the difference with a vow?  I have already taken the vow of simplicity years ago.  I keep it easily because it is my nature.

Gene Chapman