Sunday, April 7, 2013

Joe Stack Day Parade?

A few days ago, I was asked if I would lead in the development in a Joe Stack Day Parade in Austin, Texas.  Well, the short answer is no, for a few of reasons.

First, Joe Stack is a hero to many in the tax honesty movement, but by flying his plane into an IRS office in Austin a few years ago, he utilized the violence we try to overt in Gandhian Philosophy.  I'm pretty sure I met Joe during my 40 day fast at the IRS regional office there in Austin that began 10 years ago this April 15th.  He took a knee to my left, as I sat in my lawn chair and asked if I thought non-violence would work on the IRS issue.  I indicated that I did not know.  Gandhiji said, "It is better to be violent than to be a coward," so I respect Joe's work, but I think it would send a contradictory message for the library to lead in any parade, etc.

Second, the library has a global focus and audience, who do not understand our local issues.  There are people in Africa, Germany, India and other places, who run Gandhian institutions that I interact with on a regular business-like basis.  They are looking for serious leadership from the library on a global scale.  I have people of Nobel Laureate stature sending me books for the library on occasion.  Obviously, I cannot be off sticking my finger into the eye of local governments by leading a parade for Joe.  We have a world to change, not just Austin.

Third, I think of the IRS employee who died in the crash, that he did not understand the fullness of his violence upon society, else he surely would have chosen another career.  Maybe he laughed out the window at me fasting years before, maybe not.  But non-violence is a path for all of us to peruse truth, and that takes patience, not violence, if we are to become one with the best truth.

If an Alex Jones were to lead in a parade, I'm sure I would be supportive of the larger tax problem being addressed, however.

Most respectfully,



Gene Chapman, Founder and CEO
Mahatma Gandhi Global Library and Book Exchange